Welcome to the Mental Elf. This website will help you find just what you need to keep up-to-date with all of the important and reliable mental health research and guidance.
Our team of mental health experts post blogs every week day with short and snappy summaries that highlight evidence-based publications relevant to mental health practice in the UK and further afield.
All of our blogs are free to read. This is important because our vision for this website is to facilitate a democratic conversation between patients, clinicians, researchers, carers, policy makers, health and social care professionals and others. It’s vital that this discussion takes place in a public space so we can learn from each other.
Our bloggers give their time for free and they are all really keen to contribute because they share our ethos for clearly communicating evidence-based research to anyone who is interested. This website is very much a group effort.
We scour over 500 sources of evidence (journals, databases, websites) every week, to find key guidance, systematic reviews and other high quality research and reports that will help make your practice more evidence-based. The selection process has no input from any external bodies, publishers, sponsors or commercial organisations.
No bias, no misinformation, no spin, just what you need.
Who started the Mental Elf?
The blog was started by André Tomlin in May 2011. André’s an Information Scientist and has worked in mental health since the late nineties, formerly at the University of Oxford Centre for Evidence-Based Mental Health and since 2002 as MD of Minervation Ltd an evidence-based healthcare consultancy based in Oxford.
After 2 very successful years of blogging as the Mental Elf, André decided to invite colleagues to join him as contributors to the site. It’s great to involve a wide range of people in this venture, to bring in a fresh perspective and their considerable knowledge and clinical experience.
How is the Mental Elf funded?
The National Elf Service website, which contains the Mental Elf and a number of other elves covering topics from dentistry to social care, was set up by Minervation Ltd. The Founders of Minervation (André Tomlin and Douglas Badenoch) are also Founders and Directors of the National Elf Service. The website is self-funded and receives no money from the pharmaceutical industry or other commercial organisations. We feel that it is important we remain independent from any commercial organisations who work in mental health.
In 2012, we received a small research and development grant from the UK Government to carry out the market research to get our website fully tested and launched.
Does the Mental Elf make money?
All of the National Elf Service blogs (including the Mental Elf) are free. That will always remain so. Contributors are not paid for their blogs, and we only work with people who have no conflict of interest.
However, it costs money to run the website. We generate revenue from Membership. Our members enjoy the added benefits of a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) system within the National Elf Service website. This is aimed at students and professionals who need to keep up to date with the latest research in a way that can be linked to their CPD. The CPD system has been built with significant investment from Minervation and is run as a business. We sell individual and institutional subscriptions to this website and our clients include universities, charities, the NHS and local authorities. An institutional subscription includes bulk access to our CPD membership area as well as consultancy support from our team. Find out more by reading our publicity leaflet.
We also generate revenue from consultancy services that we provide to the NHS, charities, universities, professional membership bodies and mental health networks. Our consultancy services include live reporting from mental health events (#BeyondTheRoom) and producing bespoke digital content (e.g. podcasts, videos).
Our plan is to build this business so we can grow the website and include other health topics in our list of elves.
Is the National Elf Service ever paid for content?
No. We do not accept commissioned articles, and we do not work with authors who have a conflict of interest with the paper in question.
Who edits the blogs?
We currently have 5 project coordinators working at The National Elf Service. Whilst they mainly commission and edit blogs for the Mental Elf, they can often be found working on a variety of different projects including podcasts, #BeyondTheRoom events and more. If you have a question for one of the team or would like to write a blog for us, you can read more about them and the topics they are responsible for below:
Syeda is a Trainee Clinical Psychologist at the University of Oxford. Prior to beginning clinical training, Syeda worked as a research assistant on various research projects including the NIHR Mental Health Policy Research Unit. Her research interests include ethnic inequalities, the mental health of Muslims, the experience of carers, as well as service user and carer involvement in research.
Syeda is responsible for our blogs on: Public mental health/community/ primary care, Genetics/ neuroscience/ biology, Inpatient/ crisis (MH nursing), Minority MH, Multimorbidity, Personality disorders, Psychosocial interventions.
Follow Syeda on Twitter @SyedaAkther2
View Syeda’s Mental Elf blogs here.
Dafni is a psychology graduate with an MSc in Clinical Mental Health Sciences from UCL. She is currently an ECR at MARCH Network (UCL) and working as a Research Assistant at the Middlesex University on a suicide prevention project commissioned by Samaritans and Network Rail. She is exploring bystander life-saving interventions when someone is at risk and/or feeling suicidal at public places. Her research interests include suicide prevention, social determinants and their impact on mental health, health inequalities and promotion of wellbeing through cultural engagement.
Dafni is responsible for our blogs on: Arts and cultural engagement, Bipolar, Dementia and Delirium, Depression, Exercise, physical activity and diet, Mentally ill professionals, Suicide and self-harm.
Follow Dafni on Twitter @DafniKatsampa
View Dafni’s Mental Elf blogs here.
Leanne is a registered mental health nurse working in a community drug and alcohol service. She is also an MSc social research student, exploring the social factors influencing underdiagnosis of ASD in girls who compensate. Previously, Leanne has been a journalist and columnist writing about childhood development and mental health. Her research interests include substance dependence, mental health in childhood and adolescence, domestic violence and families.
Leanne is responsible for our blogs on: Substance use, dependence and addiction, Economics, Developmental disorders, Perinatal mental health and parenting, Child and adolescent mental health.
Follow Leanne on Twitter @LeanneHPatrick
View Leanne’s Mental Elf blogs here.
Katherine is in the final year of her PhD at the Section of Women’s Mental Health at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, KCL. Her research focuses on domestic violence perpetration and the association with mental health. She holds a BSc in Experimental Psychology from the University of Bristol and an MSc from KCL in Forensic Mental Health.
Katherine is responsible for our blogs on: Diagnostic and transdiagnostic, Global mental health, Displaced populations, Psychosis and schizophrenia, Trauma, Violence and abuse, Forensics
Follow Katherine on Twitter @KSaundersKCL
View Katherine’s Mental Elf blogs here.
Laura is a PhD student at the University of Manchester where she is investigating how difficulties with identifying and describing emotions are related to suicide and violence amongst male prisoners. Prior to this Laura worked as a researcher at the McPin Foundation. Laura’s research areas of interest include forensic mental health, suicide prevention and qualitative research methods. Laura has always had a strong interest in patient and public involvement and engagement in research.
Laura is responsible for our blogs on: Anxiety, Digital Mental Health, Eating Disorders, Employment, Workplace, Housing, Welfare, Crime, Loneliness, Recovery/ Positive MH & wellbeing, Service user involvement, Coproduction, PPI.
Follow Laura on Twitter @LHemming123
View Laura’s Mental Elf blogs here.
Who writes for the Mental Elf?
We have an ever-expanding team of people who contribute to the site. The group includes senior clinicians and researchers, health and social care professionals, academics, service users, students, information scientists and carers.
We’re adding to our network of writers all the time, so find out more if you’re interested in getting involved yourself.
- Clive Adams, Chair of Mental Health Services Research and Co-ordinating Editor of the Cochrane Schizophrenia Group at the University of Nottingham
- Sally Adams, Lecturer in Health Psychology at the University of Bath
- Syeda Akther, Research Assistant at the QMUL Unit for Social and Community Psychiatry
- Lia Ali, Consultant Psychiatrist for Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Eva Alisic, Psychologist and Research Fellow at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia
- Ahmed Al-Shihabi, Medicine Student at University College London
- Rachel Allan, Practice Leader for The Royal Mencap Society
- Rob Allison, Lecturer at the Department of Health Sciences, University of York
- Lucía Almazán Sánchez, Medical Student at King’s College London
- Murtada Alsaif, Pharmacist
- Ian Anderson, Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Manchester
- Steve Appleton, Managing Director, Contact Consulting
- Golnar Aref-Adib, NIHR Academic Clinical Fellow at UCL and Camden & Islington NHS Foundation Trust
- Louise Arseneault, ESRC Mental Health Leadership Fellow and Professor of Developmental Psychology at King’s College London, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience
- Henry Aughterson, PhD student at UCL
- Douglas Badenoch, Director of Minervation Ltd
- John Baker, Chair of Mental Health Nursing at the University of Leeds
- Joe Barnby, Research Assistant at University College London
- Jack Barton, PhD student at University of Manchester
- Andy Bell, Deputy Chief Executive at the Centre for Mental Health
- Imogen Bell, Postdoctoral Research Fellow and Psychologist at Orygen and the Centre for Youth Mental Health, University of Melbourne.
- Jonny Benjamin, Mental Health Campaigner, Film Producer, Public Speaker, Writer and Vlogger
- Laura Bennett, Research Assistant for the Learning Disability Mortality Review Programme (LeDeR) at University of Bristol
- Clara Belessiotis, Core Trainee in Psychiatry at East London Foundation Trust
- Francesca Bentivegna, LSA at City Education
- Kathryn Berzins, Research Fellow in Mental Health at the School of Healthcare, University of Leeds
- Victoria Betton, Director of mHabitat
- Vishal Bhavsar, Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Training Fellow in Epidemiology, Institute of Psychiatry
- Catherine Bird, Research Assistant at The Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, King’s College London
- Molly Bird, Research Associate and UCL Loneliness and Social Isolation Network member
- Jo Billings, Consultant Clinical Psychologist & Associate Clinical Professor, UCL
- Jonathan Bisson, Psychiatrist at Cardiff University
- Melissa Black, Clinical psychologist and post-doctoral researcher at the University of Cambridge
- Lisa Bortolotti, Professor of Philosophy at the University of Birmingham
- Helen Bould, Wellcome Trust Doctoral Training Fellow at the Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford
- Lucy Bowes, Associate Professor in Experimental Psychology at the University of Oxford
- Hannah Bowers, Research Fellow at Southampton University
- Simon Bradstreet, Research Fellow at the University of Glasgow
- Rachel Brand, Clinical Psychologist and Research Fellow at Phoenix Australia: Centre for Posttraumatic Mental Health, The University of Melbourne
- Josefien Breedvelt, Research Officer at the Mental Health Foundation
- Gerome Breen, Psychiatric Geneticist at King’s College London
- Simon Brett, Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner & MSci student at the University of Reading
- Amy Broadbent, Research Assistant, Cambridge
- Matthew Broome, Senior Clinical Research Fellow at the Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford
- Mark Brown, Development Director of Social Spider CIC
- Stefan Brugger, NIHR Academic Clinical Research Fellow at UCL
- Martin Brunet, GP from the Binscombe Medical Centre
- Kjetil Gundro Brurberg, Researcher in the Division of Primary Care and Clinical Procedures at the Norwegian Knowledge Center for Health Services in Public Health, Oslo, Norway
- Jennifer Burgess, Academic Clinical Fellow in General Adult Psychiatry in Newcastle
- Lisa Burscheidt, Assistant Librarian at North East London NHS Foundation Trust
- Peter Byrne, Consultant Liaison Psychiatrist at the Royal London Hospital
- Alastair Canaway, Research Fellow at the University of Warwick
- Krysia Canvin, Independent Health Services Researcher
- Victoria Carlisle, PhD Student at the Tobacco and Alcohol Research Group, University of Bristol
- Sarah Carr, Associate Professor of Mental Health Research at Middlesex University, Independent Consultant at Sarah Carr and Associates Ltd
- Laura Caven, Policy Manager at Convention of Scottish Local Authorities (COSLA)
- Brant Cebulla, Development Director for the Vitamin D Council in California, USA
- Emma Cernis, Research Assistant, Oxford
- Iain Chalmers, Coordinator at James Lind Initiative
- Sarah Chapman, Knowledge Broker at UK Cochrane Centre
- Paul Christiansen, Lecturer at the University of Liverpool
- Andrea Cipriani, Associate Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Oxford; Editor in Chief of Evidence-Based Mental Health
- Natasha Clarke, PhD Student at the University of Liverpool
- Alys Cole-King, Consultant Liaison Psychiatrist at the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, the Royal College of Psychiatrists Spokesperson on Suicide and Self harm, and the Clinical Director of Connecting with People
- Elizabeth Collier, Lecturer in Mental Health at the University of Derby
- Lorna Collins, Researcher and Member of the MARCH network
- Jennifer Collom, Research Assistant at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience, Kings College London
- Dean Connolly, Student at University College London
- Nicola Coop, Assistant Psychologist
- Mick Cooper, Professor of Counselling at the School of Psychological Sciences and Health, University of Strathclyde, Scotland
- Emma Corcoran, Research Assistant at UCL Psychiatry
- Samuele Cortese, Clinical Associate Professor at the University of Southampton and Honorary Consultant Child Psychiatrist at Solent NHS Trust
- Elana Covshoff, Programme Manager at SHRINE
- Marie Crabbe, Research Assistant at Oxford Health Foundation NHS Trust
- Jake Crawshaw, PhD candidate at the Institute of Pharmaceutical Science, King’s College London
- Byron Creese, Research Psychologist at the University of Exeter
- Ioana Cristea, Associate Professor at Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca and a Research Fellow at the University of Pisa, Italy
- Ioana Crivatu, Research Assistant, Middlesex Univerity, London
- Jazz Croft, PhD candidate at the Centre for Academic Mental Health, University of Bristol
- Ian Cummins, Senior Lecturer in Social Work at the University of Salford
- Emily Currell, MSc Student at University College London
- Simon D’Alfonso, Lecturer in Digital Health, The University of Melbourne
- David Daley, Professor of Psychological Intervention and Behaviour Change at the University of Nottingham
- Tim Dalgleish, Programme leader at University of Cambridge
- Sasha Danilina, PhD Student at University College London
- Suzanne Dash, Graduate-Entry Medicine Student at the University of Oxford
- Geoff Davies, Trainee Clinical Psychologist at the University of Surrey
- Kelly Davies, Lecturer in Mental Health at the University of York
- John M Davis, Professor of Psychiatry and Research Professor of Medicine at the University of Illinois at Chicago
- Jennifer de Bayer, Research Coordinator at the Centre for Statistics in Medicine, Oxford University
- Derek de Beurs, Senior Mental Health Researcher at the Netherlands Institute for Health Services Research (NIVEL)
- Caroline De Brun, Knowledge and Evidence Manager at Public Health England Knowledge and Library Services
- Angharad de Cates, Psychiatry Registrar and Honorary Research Fellow at Warwick Medical School
- Jill Domoney, Clinical Psychologist and Researcher at the Section of Women’s Mental Health, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, King’s College London
- Ailsa Donnelly, Lay Chair of the PRIMER group
- Muna Dubad, PhD Student at the University of Warwick
- Jay Duckworth, PhD Student at the University of Liverpool
- Thalia Eley, Professor of Developmental Behavioural Genetics at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience, Kings College London
- Edzard Ernst, Emeritus Professor at Exeter University
- Michelle Eskinazi, MSC Student at University College London & Core Psychiatry Trainee at Camden & Islington NHS Foundation Trust
- Norah Essali, Medical student at the University of Kalamoon, Syria
- Pete Etchells, Senior Lecturer in Biological Psychology at Bath Spa University
- Katie Evans, Head of Research and Policy at Money and Mental Health
- Alison Faulkner, Surviver Researcher and Trainer in Mental Health
- Mina Fazel, Associate Professor in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at the Oxford University Department of Psychiatry and Consultant in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Matt Field, Professor of Psychology at the University of Liverpool
- Caroline Fiennes, Director at Giving Evidence
- Saoirse Finn, Network Co-ordinator at Arts Health Early Career Research Network
- Katie Finning, PhD student at the School of Medicine and Health, University of Exeter
- Terry Flemming, Senior Lecturer at the Victoria University of Wellington
- Meg Fluharty, Research Assistant at the Tobacco and Alcohol Research Group, University of Bristol
- Andrés Fonseca, Consultant Psychiatrist, CEO of Health eLiving Partnership, Honorary Lecturer at UCL
- Tamsin Ford, Professor of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at the University of Exeter
- Alexander Foster, Research Worker in Global Mental Health at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, King’s College London
- Una Foye, Research Officer at the Mental Health Foundation
- Suzi Gage, Lecturer in Psychology and Epidemiology at the University of Liverpool
- Linda Gask, Emerita Professor of Primary Care Psychiatry at the University of Manchester
- Lina Gega, Reader in Mental Health at the University of York and Hull York Medical School
- Clarissa Giebel, Researcher and PhD student at the PSSRU, University of Manchester
- Bethany Gill, Research Associate at Lancaster Associate
- Patricia Gillen, Head of Research and Development for Nurses, Midwives and AHPs/ Lecturer at the Southern Health and Social Care Trust (SHSCT) and Ulster University
- Maria Giorgalli, Student, MSc in Clinical Mental Health Sciences at University College London
- Laura Godfrey-Isaacs, Artist, Midwife and Birth Activist
- Guy Goodwin, Professor of Psychiatry at the University Department of Psychiatry, Oxford
- Sophie Graham, Medical Student at Newcastle University
- Amy Green, Academic Clinical Lecturer at the University of Bristol
- Sarah Gregory, Doctoral candidate and study coordinator at the University of Edinburgh
- Ellen Grimas, PhD Student at Imperial College
- David Gunnell, MB, ChB, DSc, FMedSci Professor of Epidemiology at the University of Bristol
- Peter Haddad, Senior Consultant in Psychiatry, Hamad Medical Corporation, Qatar; Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, Qatar University, Qatar
- Ian Hamilton, Associate Professor in addiction at University of York
- Terry Hanley, Senior Lecturer in Counselling Psychology at University of Manchester
- Ben Hannigan, Reader in Mental Health Nursing in the School of Healthcare Sciences at Cardiff University
- Keir Harding, Occupational Therapist, Cynnwys (together), at the personality disorder service in Cardiff
- Laurie Hare-Duke, Research Fellow at the Institute of Mental Health, University of Nottingham
- Amanda Harris, Psychologist and Director of the Australian Child & Adolescent Trauma, Loss & Grief Network
- Judith Harrison, Welsh Clinical Academic Training Fellow at Cardiff University
- Camille Hart, Psychiatric Trainee Doctor at Queen’s University, Belfast
- Suzan Hassan, PhD Student at UCL Primary Care and Population Health
- Helge Hasselmann, Research Masters Student in Clinical and Cognitive Neurosciences at Maastricht University
- Simon Hatcher, Full Professor of Psychiatry at The University of Ottawa
- Joseph Hayes, Clinical Training Fellow at UCL Division of Psychiatry
- Laura Hemming, PhD Student at the University of Manchester
- Jill Hemmington, Senior Lecturer and Course Leader PG Cert (AMHP) at the School of Social Work, Care and Community, University of Central Lancashire
- Paul Heron, Research Fellow at Closing the Gap Network, University of York
- Sarah Hetrick, Associate Professor in Youth Mental Health at the University of Auckland
- Jessamy Hibberd, Chartered Clinical Psychologist
- Emily Hielscher, PhD Candidate at University of Queensland
- Kerrie-Anne Ho, PhD Candidate at the University of New South Wales, Australia
- Chris Hollis, Professor of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry at the University of Nottingham and Consultant in Developmental Neuropsychiatry with Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust
- Mark Horowitz, Training Psychiatrist from Australia who is completing a PhD at King’s College London
- Maxine Howard, PhD student at University College London
- Dochka Hristova, Project Coordinator for the National Elf Service
- Samei Huda, Consultant Psychiatrist at Pennine Care, Manchester
- Liz Hughes, Professor of Mental Health at University of Huddersfield and South West Yorkshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Neil Humphrey, Professor of Psychology of Education and Head of the Manchester Institute of Education at the University of Manchester
- Jane Iles, Clinical Psychologist working in CAMHS and Research Associate at Imperial College London
- Udita Iyengar, Project Manager in the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Pamela Jacobsen, Clinical Psychologist and NIHR Research Fellow at King’s College London
- Benjamin Janaway, Psychiatry trainee and Science communicator
- Alex Jarram, PhD student at University College London
- Sameer Jauhar, Research Fellow and Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist at the Institute of Psychiatry
- Sam Jee, Research Associate at the University of Manchester
- Sonia Johnson, Professor of Social and Community Psychiatry at UCL, Director of the NIHR Mental Health Policy Research Unit
- Susie Johnson, Recent Graduate from Bristol University
- Mandy Johnstone, Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Fellow and Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist, University of Edinburgh
- Andrew Jones, Post-doctoral researcher at the University of Liverpool
- Ian Jones, Professor of Perinatal Psychiatry at Cardiff University, Director of the Welsh National Centre for Mental Health
- Jonathan Jones, PhD Psychology student at the University of Exeter
- Mona Jones, Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner, AnDY Research clinic, University of Reading
- Dan Joyce, Clinical Lecturer at Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience at King’s College London, Junior Doctor in general adult psychiatry
- Joe Judge, Clinical Psychologist in the Hamilton Psychological Therapies Team, Lanarkshire, Scotland
- Shubhangi Karmakar, Medical and MSc student at Trinity College Dublin
- Muzaffer Kaser, Psychiatrist and Clinical Lecturer at the Department of Psychiatry, Cambridge University
- Dafni Katsampa, Research Assistant at Middlesex University London
- Anjuli Kaul, Administrator at the Violence and Abuse Mental Health Network
- Eleanor Kennedy, PhD Student at Bristol Tobacco and Alcohol Research Group, University of Bristol
- Patrick Kennedy-Williams, BPS Chartered and HCPC-registered Clinical Psychologist, Co-director of Psychology Oxford
- Jack Kerwin, Medical student
- Roxanne Keynejad, Clinical Research Training Fellow in the Section of Women’s Mental Health at King’s College London
- Nagina Khan, MRC Research Training Fellow at the National Primary Care Research and Development Centre, University of Manchester
- Olivia Kirtley, Research Assistant at the University of Glasgow
- Pooky Knightsmith, Speaker, Lecturer, Trainer, Author and Vice Chair of the Children and Young People’s Mental Health Coalition
- Dee Knipe, Vice Chancellor’s Elizabeth Blackwell Research Fellow, University of Bristol
- Sarah Knowles, Research Fellow at the NIHR School for Primary Care Research
- Will Koehler, Assistant Professor in the Department of Social Work at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania and Owner of Journey to a Trauma Informed Life, LLC.
- Matthew Kube-Clare, Trainee Psychiatrist at the Oxleas NHS trust.
- Stanley Kutcher, Sun Life Financial Chair in Adolescent Mental Health and the Director WHO Collaborating Care in Mental Health Policy and Training at Dalhousie University and IWK Health Centre in Canada
- Emmeline Lagunes Cordoba, Psychiatrist and psychotherapist
- Jennifer Laidlaw, PGY-5 Resident in Psychiatry at the University of Toronto
- Joseph Lam, MSc Graduate in Clinical Mental Health Science UCL
- Danielle Lamb, Programme Manager of the AD-CARE study at the UCL Division of Psychiatry
- Nicky Lambert, Director of Teaching and Learning Mental Health, Social Work and Integrative Medicine at Middlesex University
- Alex Langford, Psychiatrist in Oxford
- Jennifer Lau, University Lecturer at the University of Oxford, Director of the Researching Emotional Disorders and Development (REDD) lab
- Sharon Lawn, Professor, College of Medicine and Public Health, Flinders University, Australia
- Keith Laws, Professor of Cognitive Neuropsychology at the University of Hertfordshire
- Kirsten Lawson, Consultant Liaison Psychiatrist and Clinical Lead for Liaison Psychiatry Services at Kent & Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership NHS Trust
- Caroline Leah, Senior Lecturer and Social Worker based at Manchester Metropolitan University
- William Lee, Clinical Associate Professor (Reader) in Psychiatry at Plymouth University
- Simon Leigh, Health Economist at Lifecode® Solutions and Nexus Clinical Analytics, Research Fellow at the University of Liverpool
- Douglas Levinson, Director of the Stanford University Program on the Genetics of Brain Function in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Gemma Lewis, University College London
- Michelle Lim, Senior Lecturer in Clinical Psychology at Swinburne University of Technology, and Head of the Social Health and Wellbeing Laboratory
- Bryn Lloyd-Evans, Senior Lecturer in the UCL Division of Psychiatry
- Maria Loades, Senior Lecturer/Clinical Tutor, Doctorate in Clinical Psychology programme at the University of Bath
- Karina Lovell, Director of Research and Professor of Mental Health at the University of Manchester
- Colleen Loo, Professor of Psychiatry at the University of New South Wales, Australia
- Raluca Lucacel, PhD Student, Cluj Napoca, Romania
- Maartje Luijten, Assistant Professor at the Behavioural Science Institute, Radboud University Nijmegen, The Netherlands
- James MacCabe, Reader in the Epidemiology of Psychosis at the Institute of Psychiatry Psychology and Neuroscience, King’s College London
- Lucy Maddox, NHS Clinical Psychologist, Lecturer and BSA Media Fellow
- Sarah Man, Staff Nurse at the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Unit
- Sammy Man, Clinical Psychologist
- Farhana Mann, Wellcome Trust Research Training Fellow at University College London and Specialist Registrar (ST6) in General Adult Psychiatry in North London
- Warren Mansell, Reader in Clinical Psychology at the University of Manchester
- Elena Marcus, Research Assistant at the National Collaborating Centre for Mental Health and University College London
- Joanna Martin, PhD Student at Cardiff University
- Steven Marwaha, Reader at Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick
- Lisa Marzano, Associate Professor in Psychology at Middlesex University
- Timothy Matthews, Postdoctoral Researcher at King’s College London
- Olivia Maynard, Research Associate at the Tobacco and Alcohol Research Group at the University of Bristol
- Edel Mc Glanaghy, Clinical Psychologist with NHS Forth Valley and a Research Fellow at Edinburgh Napier University
- Heather McClelland, Research Assistant and PhD Student at University of Glasgow
- Sarah McDonald, Clinical Psychologist
- Iain McDougall, Specialist trainee in General Adult Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Belfast
- Carla McEnery, Provisional Psychologist and PhD candidate at the Brain and Psychological Sciences Research Centre, Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne
- Paula McFadden, Senior Lecturer in Social Work at Ulster University
- John McGowan, Director and Academic Director of the Clinical Psychology Training Scheme at the Salomons Centre for Applied Psychology, Kent
- Andrew McIntosh, Professor of Biological Psychiatry in the University of Edinburgh Division of Psychiatry
- Kwame McKenzie, CEO of Wellesley Institute
- Alison McKinlay, Psychologist and Post-doctoral researcher at the Institute of Psychology, Psychiatry and Neuroscience.
- Kate McLaughlin, Clinical Psychologist and Assistant Professor at the Department of Psychology at the University of Washington, USA
- Sally McManus, Research Director at the National Centre for Social Research
- Peter McMurray, Psychiatry Core Trainee working in the Southern Trust in Northern Ireland
- Chris Miller, Research Assistant at the Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Kathryn Mitchell, Core Psychiatry Trainee working in the Belfast Trust, Northern Ireland
- Emma Molyneaux – Postdoctoral Researcher in the Section of Women’s Mental Health at King’s College London and works for the Mental Health Policy Research Unit
- Mark Monaghan, Lecturer in Criminology and Social Policy at the University of Loughborough
- Stephen Moore, Inpatient Psychiatrist in the Tyrone and Fermanagh Hospital, Northern Ireland
- Paul Morrison, Psychiatrist and Researcher at the Institute of Psychiatry, KCL
- Nuala Morse, Lecturer in Museum Studies at the University of Leicester
- Michelle Moulds, Professor and PLuS Alliance Fellow, School of Psychology, University of New South Wales, Australia
- Claire Mokrysz, PhD Student at University College London
- John Moriarty, Research Fellow at University of Belfast
- Marcus Munafò, Professor of Biological Psychology at the University of Bristol
- Nikki Nabavi, Medical Student at the University of Manchester
- Monisha Nahar, MSc Student at UCL
- Akshay Nair, Wolfson Clinical Research Fellow at University College London
- Josephine Neale, Trainee Psychiatrist in North London
- Natalie Nelissen, Research Fellow at mHabitat
- Rosalyn Nelson, Assistant Psychologist at North Wilts Memory Service, Avon & Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust
- Jill Newby, Senior Lecturer, MRFF/NHMRC Career Development Fellow and Research Director of the Clinical Research Unit for Anxiety and Depression at St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney
- Nicola Newhouse, Researcher at Health Experiences Research Group, University of Oxford
- Claire Niedzwiedz, Postdoctoral Researcher at the Centre for Research on Environment, Society and Health at the University of Edinburgh
- Peter Norton, Professor of Clinical Psychology at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia, and Director of the Monash FEAR Clinic
- Aileen O’Brien, Reader in Psychiatry and Education & Dean for Students at St George’s University of London
- Elly O’Brien, Information Scientist, London
- Siobhan O’Neill, Professor of Mental Health Sciences at Ulster University
- Andrew O’Shaughnessy, Consultant in Public Health in Bradford & Airedale and Visiting Research Fellow at the University of Leeds
- Chris O’Sullivan, Mental Health Foundation
- Juliana Onwumere, Senior Lecturer & Consultant Clinical Psychologist, King’s College, London, South London & Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust
- Sami Ouanes, Clinical Fellow in Advanced General Adult Psychiatry, Hamad Medical Corporation, Qatar
- Michael Ostacher, Associate Professor at the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine
- Dennis Ougrin, Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust and Clinical Senior Lecturer at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience
- Gozde Ozakinci, Health Psychologist and Lecturer in health psychology at the University of St Andrews
- Geoff Page, Research Fellow at the University of York
- Laurence Palfreyman, Assistant Psychologist in South London
- Harry Palmer, Programme Coordinator, Mental Health Research Programme, Veterans and their Families (UK), Centre for Mental Health
- Carmine Pariante, Professor of Biological Psychiatry at the Institute of Psychiatry, Consultant Perinatal Psychiatrist at the South London and Maudsley NHS Trust
- Georgie Parker, Mental Health Recovery Worker, Rethink Mental Illness
- Jennie Parker, Senior Researcher at the McPin Foundation
- Emily Peckham, Closing the Gap Network+ Coordinator at York University
- Christopher Pell, In-patient General Adult Psychiatrist at the Susan Carnegie Centre in Angus, Scotland for NHS Tayside
- Elvira Perez Vallejos, Associate Professor Digital Tech for Mental Health at the University of Nottingham
- Serap Pinar, Biomedical and Molecular Science Research (M.Sc) from King’s College London
- Vanessa Pinfold, Co-Founder & Research Director at the McPin Foundation
- Alexandra Pitman, Senior Clinical Lecturer in the UCL Division of Psychiatry and an Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist at Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust
- Rudiger Pittrof, Consultant in Sexual and Reproductive Health at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust
- Belinda Platt, Post-Doc at the LMU University Clinic for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Rob Poole, Professor of Social Psychiatry at Bangor University
- Inês Pote, Research Officer for the Early Intervention Foundation
- Lucinda Powell, Psychology teacher
- Amy Price, Trustee of the ThinkWell charity where she leads the PLOT-IT (Public Led Online Trials-Infrastructure and Tools) project
- Paul Ramchandani, LEGO Professor of Play in Education at the University of Cambridge
- Matt Ravenhall, Final year Biology student at the University of York
- Susan Rasmussen, Senior Lecturer in the School of Psychological Sciences and Health at the University of Strathclyde
- Stefan Rennick-Egglestone, Digital Research Specialist at theUniversity of Nottingham
- Laoise Renwick, Lecturer at the University of Manchester
- Shirley Reynolds, Director of the Charlie Waller Institute and Professor of Evidence Based Psychological Therapies at the University of Reading
- Thomas Richardson, Principal Clinical Psychologist at Solent NHS Trust
- Jodi Rintelman, Pharmacist and medical writer
- Tessa Roberts, global mental health researcher
- Abi Rose, Lecturer in Psychology at the University of Liverpool
- Diana Rose, Professor of User-Led Research and Head of Section and Co-director Service User Research Enterprise (SURE) at King’s College London
- Rachel Rowan-Olive, Mental Health Service User/Survivor, Illustrator, and graduate student at Birkbeck, University of London
- Sarah Rowe, Lecturer on the MSc Clinical Mental Health Sciences and MSc Mental Health Sciences Research, UCL Division of Psychiatry
- Tobias Rowland, Academic Clinical Fellow, University of Warwick
- Alex Ruck Keene, Barrister specialising in mental capacity and mental health law and Wellcome Research Fellow at King’s College London
- Kirsten Russell, PhD student at Strathclyde University
- Katharine Sacks-Jones, Director of Agenda
- Emma Saddleton, Research Worker and part-time MSc student at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, London
- Tatiana Salisbury, Lecturer in Global Mental Health at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, King’s College London
- Paul Salkovskis, Director of the Oxford Institute of Clinical Psychology Training and Oxford Centre for Cognitive Therapy
- Christopher Sampson, Health Economist at the University of Nottingham
- João Santos, Research Associate and Data Manager at the Manchester Institute of Education, University of Manchester
- Leela Sathyaputri, Undergraduate Research Assistant at the University of Iowa
- Martyna Sawicka, Data Collection Coordinator, Arizona Twin Project at Arizona State University
- Heike Schroder, Lecturer in Human Resource Management at Queen’s University Management School
- Ava Schulz, Postdoctoral Researcher on the OPTIMAX project
- Susanne Schweizer, Sir Henry Wellcome Fellow in the Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience Group, UCL Institute of Cognitive Neuroscienc
- Hannah Rachel Scott, PhD Student at the University College London
- Lucas Shelemy, PhD Researcher at the University of Reading
- Andrew Shepherd, Doctoral research Fellow at the University of Manchester and Higher Trainee in Forensic Psychiatry
- Hilary Shepherd, MSc Dementia student at University College London
- Luke Sheridan-Rains, Research associate in the NIHR Mental Health Policy Research Unit, UCL Division of Psychiatry
- Natalie Shoham, Clinical Training Fellow at UCL
- Lucy Simons, Research Fellow at NIHR MindTech Healthcare Technology Cooperative, Institute of Mental Health, University of Nottingham
- Megan Skelton, PhD student in the Emotional Development Intervention and Treatment Lab (EDIT Lab) at King’s College London
- Jude Smit, PhD student and Psychotherapist
- Mark Smith, IAPT Clinician working for Steps2Change and independent Psychotherapist Trainer
- Francesca Solmi, Research Associate, Division of Psychiatry, University College London
- Andrew Sommerlad, PhD Fellow at University College London
- Sophie Stammers, Research Fellow on Project PERFECT at the University of Birmingham
- Emily Stapley, Research Fellow in the Evidence Based Practice Unit at the Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families and UCL
- Eloise Stark, PhD student at the University of Oxford
- Thomas Steare, Research Assistant at University College London
- Sarah Steeg, Presidential Fellow, University of Manchester
- David Steele, Junior Doctor with an interest in psychology, psychiatry and public health
- Kevin Stone, Associate Head of Department for Law at UWE, Bristol
- Becci Strawbridge, Mental Health Research at the Institute if Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, King’s College London
- Caroline Struthers, Education and Training Manager for the EQUATOR Network
- Shuichi Suetani, Psychiatrist at the Queensland Centre for Mental Health Research & Queensland Brain Institute
- Harry Sumnall, Professor in Substance Use at the Public Health Institute, Liverpool John Moores University
- Irene Sutcliffe, Lived experience expert
- Rebecca Syed, Researcher at King’s College London
- Edward Sykes, Senior Press Manager and Head of Mental Health & Neuroscience, Science Media Centre
- Danny Taggart, Academic Director for the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, University of Essex
- Katherine Tallent, Mental Health Recovery Worker, Rethink Mental Illness
- Marcus Tan, Academic Clinical Fellow at Plymouth University School of Medicine
- Andrew Thompson, Clinical Health Psychologist at the University of Sheffield and Sheffield Health & Social Care NHS Foundation Trust
- Rupert Thurston, Junior Doctor working in General Adult Psychiatry in the West Midlands
- Caroline Tomes, Public Health Specialty Registrar currently working in Cambridge
- André Tomlin, Founder and Managing Director of Minervation Ltd and the National Elf Service Ltd
- Anneka Tomlinson, Clinician and Senior Postdoctoral Researcher at the Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford
- John Torous, Director of the Digital Psychiatry Division at the Department of Psychiatry, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Solomon Towuru, Lecturer in Mental Health altho eh University of Derby
- Derek Tracy, Consultant Psychiatrist and Associate Clinical Director for crisis, inpatient, and rehabilitation services at Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust
- David Trickey, Consultant clinical psychologist at the Specialist Trauma and Maltreatment Service at the Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families
- Stella Tsoli, PhD student at the Centre for Longitudinal Studies, UCL.
- Remco Tuijt, PhD student at UCL
- David Turgoose, Clinical Psychologist in the Attachment and Trauma Team at Great Ormond Street Hospital
- Alison Turner, Head of the Evidence Analysis team within the Strategy Unit at NHS Midlands and Lancashire Commissioning Support Unit
- Alan Underwoord, Specialist Clinical Psychologist
- Raphael Underwood, PhD candidate at the Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London
- Noortje Uphoff, Research Fellow, Cochrane Common Mental Disorder, University of York
- Rachel Upthegrove, Senior Clinical Lecturer in Psychiatry at the University of Birmingham
- Anne-Laura van Harmelen, Senior Research Fellow in the Department of Psychiatry, University of Cambridge
- Kathryn Walsh, Research Associate at the University of Birmingham
- Joanne Wallace, Graduate Entry Medical Student at The University of Warwick
- Michael Walton, PhD student at Manchester Metropolitan University
- Jingyi Wang, Research Associate at UCL
- Fiona Warner-Gale, Joint Director of Associate Development Solutions Ltd
- Andrew Watson, Clinical Research Fellow in Psychiatry at the University of Edinburgh
- Sarah Watts, Consultant Clinical Psychologist, Accredited Cognitive Behavioural Therapist and Clinical Lead with the Midlands Partnership Foundation Trust South Staffordshire IAPT teams
- Jasmin Wertz, PhD Student at Kings College London
- Simon Wessely, Chair of Psychological Medicine at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neurosciences (IoPPN), King’s College London
- Karen Wetherall, Researcher at the Suicidal Behaviour Research Lab, University of Glasgow
- Danny Whiting, Forensic Psychiatrist and NIHR Doctoral Research Fellow with the Forensic Psychiatry Research Group at the University of Oxford
- Alice Wickersham, PhD student at the NIHR Maudsley Biomedical Research Centre
- Michael Wigelsworth, Senior Lecturer at the Manchester Institute of Education, University of Manchester
- Lucy Willetts, Chartered Clinical Psychologist and Accredited CBT Therapist
- Sarsha Wilson, Research Assistant at the NIHR Oxford Cognitive Health Clinical Research Facility
- Emma Wincup, Senior Lecturer in Criminology and Criminal Justice, School of Law at the University of Leeds
- Katrina Witt, Research Fellow with the Centre for Suicide Research at the University of Oxford
- Stephen Wood, Professor of Adolescent Brain Development and Mental Health at the University of Birmingham
- Emma Yapp, Research Assistant in the Section of Women’s Mental Health in the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology, and Neuroscience at King’s College London
- Vanessa Yim, Research assistant at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience
- Tiago Zortea, Post-doctoral researcher in the Suicidal Behaviour Research Lab, University of Glasgow
- Fabio Zucchelli, Sport and Exercise Psychology MSc student
Groups who have blogged
In addition to the individuals who blog for us, we sometimes publish blogs written by groups of people. These are often written as part of a training session or introduction to blogging; sometimes by students, sometimes by health professionals or academics. Here are some of the groups who have written Mental Elf blogs:
- CAMSTRAND Conference delegates
- Centre for Affective Disorders, King’s College London
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health MSc, UCL Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health
- Clinical Mental Health Sciences MSc, University College London
- EQUATOR Publication School
- Mental Health Studies MSc, King’s College London
- NPNR Conference delegates
- PenCLAHRC: NIHR Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (CLAHRC) South West Peninsula
- Psychology and Neuroscience of Mental Health MSc/PGDip/PGCert, King’s College London
- University of Edinburgh Division of Psychiatry
- University of Glasgow, Institute of Health and Wellbeing MSc Courses
Contact us if you’d like André Tomlin to teach blogging and social media in your institution.
Who decides what evidence is included on the website?
We scour over 400 databases, journals, websites and other feeds to bring you the best available mental health evidence. Items are selected using an evidence-based inclusion criteria to ensure they are relevant to UK practice and based on high quality research, policy and guidance.
The selection process has no input from any external bodies, publishers, sponsors or commercial organisations.
We critically appraise the material we find using the CASP critical appraisal checklists.
- Profile: André Tomlin. BJPsych Bulletin, April 2018.
- André Tomlin: Mental Elf Guru. The Lancet Psychiatry, January 2016.
- Keeping up to date with reliable mental health research: the Minervation white paper. Douglas Badenoch and André Tomlin, 19th May 2015.
- Keeping up to date with mental health research. André Tomlin, The Guardian, 15th Apr 2013.
- Treating mental illness in the digital age. Pete Etchells, Discover Magazine, 13 Feb 2013.
- The Mental Elf. Royal College of Psychiatrists useful resources, eNewsletter, Sep 2012.
Are there more elves for different health topics?
We cover a number of topics on our National Elf Service. Check out these other elves:
Contact us if you’d like to discuss collaborating on an elf in your field of interest.