Dental friends and colleagues tell me they find it difficult to keep up to date with the latest evidence. They want to keep in touch but they don’t have time to wade through everything that’s published.
We aim to take on that burden and find just what you need to keep abreast of all the important and reliable dental health research and guidance.
Through a daily blog we will provide brief summaries highlighting evidence-based publications relevant to dental practice in the UK and around the world.
Follow us so you can be first to hear about key systematic reviews, trials, guidance as well as high quality patient information.
Who started the Dental Elf?
The first Dental Elf blog was written by Derek Richards, a Dental Public Health Consultant in June 2011. From the start he has been supported by Douglas Badenoch an Information Scientist from Minervation Ltd an evidence-based healthcare consultancy based in Oxford. The Dental Elf is one of a team of elves that comprise the National Elf Service:-
Who writes for the Dental Elf?
- Derek Richards, Consultant in Dental Public Health and Director of the Centre for Evidence-based Dentistry
- Dominic Hurst, Clinical lecturer in Adult Oral Health at Queen Mary, University of London
- Jacqueline Burns, Specialist Registrar in Dental Public Health based within NHS Fife
- Mark-Steven Howe, General Practitioner and honorary lecturer at University of Liverpool
- Kenny Strain, DCT1 Maxilllofacial Department, Rotherham District General Hospital
- Colin Levey, Clinical Lecturer and Honorary speciality training registrar in Restorative Dentistry at Dundee Dental School
How is it paid for?
Currently The Dental Elf is free to all and funded by the writers. We hope to continue to make it freely available indefinitely by establishing a sound funding base. However, we will never compromise our editorial integrity because of what any funding body tells us.
Derek Richards, Director, Centre for Evidence-based Dentistry