A recent randomised controlled trial from Melbourne Australia has highlighted the effectiveness of a prevention and early intervention parenting programme, which aims to “improve emotion socialization practices in parents of preschool children”.
Tuning in to Kids is a 6-session group parenting program that helps children learn to understand and regulate their emotions.
It teaches parents:
- awareness and regulation of their own emotions
- awareness of their children’s emotions
- to use children’s emotional experiences as an opportunity for closeness and teaching
- skills in assisting children to verbally label and manage their emotions
- skills in assisting children in problem solving
- to guide children’s behaviour with appropriate limits
The research evaluation of Tuning in to Kids found that when parents learned these parenting skills, this was related to improvements in children’s emotional competence, social skills and behaviour. For children with behaviour or anxiety problems, the program was particularly effective.
The ideas and techniques taught in the program are useful for parents of children of all ages, but are particularly relevant for parents of preschoolers.