The new NHS operating framework has been published today and it sets priorities on a number of mental health issues.
The Department of Health press release says:
The operating framework describes the national priorities, system levers and enablers needed for NHS organisations to maintain and improve the quality of services provided, while delivering transformational change and maintaining financial stability.
It’s good to see the parity between physical health and mental health in the framework; building on the mental health outcomes strategy, No Health Without Mental Health.
Mental health topics covered in the framework include:
- Dementia and the care of older people
- Military and veterans’ health
- Access to psychological therapies
- The physical healthcare of those with mental illness
- Offender health
- Targeted support for child and young people
The Operating Framework for the NHS in England 2012/13 (PDF). Department of Health, 24 Nov 2011.