Health services are new territory for many Local Authority Councillors yet they will increasingly be required to get involved. Elected members and local authority staff play a key role in improving the health of our communities.
Supporting innovation and improvement
LG Improvement and Development focuses on the issues that are important to councils, using tried and tested ways of working. The Healthy Communities resource explores local government’s role in supporting health improvement and tackling health inequalities and includes this collection of short essays around health leadership.
What do you know?
- What do you know about commissioning of health and social care?
- What do you know about commissioning of public health?
- What do you know about the role of social care in health and wellbeing
- What do you k now about the role of social care in health and wellbeing?
- What do you know about performance management, regulation and inspection?
- What do you know about scrutiny of health and wellbeing?
- What do you know about health and wellbeing boards
The twenty ‘Must Knows, designed to provide essential information for Council members are each arranged in four sections:
- Why is this important?
- The role of the local authority
- Key tasks for elected Members
- Useful links: where to find out more
Must-Knows on health and wellbeing, Local Government Improvement & Development, 13 February 2012.